Listen / Share / Download
We’ve all heard those Jeff Foxworthy jokes about how you might be a redneck if you…
- You think “loading the dishwasher” means getting your wife drunk.
- You own a homemade fur coat.
- You think a chain saw is a musical instrument.
- You read the Auto Trader with a highlight pen.
That’s funny right there! – Tow Mater
What might make you a real estate investor…
We as real estate investors have our own quirks and situations that make us who we are. These are the things that create a special bond between us.
If you find yourself nodding and laughing at the following truisms, well…you just might be a real estate investor.
I’m afraid I haven’t found a cure for it so you’re tough out of luck. 😉
You might be a real estate investor if…
- you have a thousand keys and you have no idea which house they belong to.
- you buy every directional sign in stock at home depot, then go to another home depot and buy their stock.
- you are proud of your lockbox collection.
- you happily sit on urine-stained couches. (cheers to Rob Caldwell for this one)
- you will jump up from the dinner table to answer your phone because you don’t want to miss a deal.
- you understand Ron Legrand on a deeper level when he says, “don’t go driving through a war zone in your fancy car wearin’ lots of jewelry!”
- you get excited by the sight of feces on the floor throughout a house.
- you have done the shake-it-all-about-hokey-pokey dance all over the street trying to get all of the fleas off of you.
- you know exactly what is meant by being embarrassed by your offer.
- you just have to see the inside of that REO, don’t want to bother the agent, and decide that you and your wife need to crawl through a window, only to have 3 police cars swarm the front of the house within just 2 or 3 minutes.
- the top 5 called people on your phone are your wife followed by nothing but contractors.
- you have more pictures of nasty houses than family and friends in your phone.
- you’ve nearly run over people and hit parked cars because you craned your neck to get the address of a house you just passed.
- you no longer consider so-so neighborhoods dangerous because you’ve seen the furthest end of the spectrum.
- your kids tell you you are obsessed with houses.
- your kids say they don’t want to go and look at anymore houses every time you leave the house together.
- you laugh when someone tells you their house doesn’t need any repairs or updating on the phone.
- you can’t help but look at the ceilings and walls looking for mistakes at friends and family members’ houses when you visit them.
- you have nightmares that you completely forgot about a house you bought and it’s been sitting their vacant and being vandalized for over a year.
- you are constantly surprised at how some people can live.
- you’ve seen a toilet that you wouldn’t want to get within 10 feet of…daily.
- you will do anything to not have to replace the cabinets.
- you spend an hour debating between two faucets at home depot but will decide to buy a house within 5 minutes.
- you are stilling reading this post and are looking forward to seeing what other investors have added in the comments. 🙂
Leave your additions to this post in the comments below. Let’s grow this list so that we have something to turn to for a laugh when contractors frustrate us.